Friday, March 25, 2011

This Is Kansas Basketball




Jake and I were SO lucky to be able to go to The Nelson-Adkins Museum in Kansas City this week. On display, were the very first rules of the game of basketball. The very rules, written by James Naismith, himself. The creator of the best sport ever.
Most of the people who follow my blog, probably don't care one bit about this sport. That's ok.... because I'm obsessed with it. My obsession makes up for those who could care less!
I had to scan this in, because photography was prohibited.
The 3rd picture shows 2 papers, and on them were the 10 rules basketball started with. They didn't have a ball that bounced, so back then there was no dribbling. Peach baskets were hung 10 ft high, and each basket was only worth 1 point. Another interesting fact is, that if a team had 2 consecutive fouls (without the other team fouling) the other team was rewarded free points.
They had these 2 documents framed nicely and under glass.... how did they get here? A HUGE KU booster (The Booth Family) bought them recently, when they went to auction, for a small price tag of $4.1 Million.... they have donated them back to KU, where the amazing basketball tradition practically began. Ok..... Naismith invented the game at the YMCA in Massachusetts, but once it involved into a real sport, Naismith was the first coach at KU. This is why us Kansas basketball fans are so loyal and cool.... (ok, that last part is just my biased opinion.)
I am so happy I got to see this display!! Thanks Booth family and all your pocket change you carry! =)
(You may be able to click on each picture and see slightly larger print)

2 comments:

Shenna said...

I love that you're so obsessed with basketball...I know what to expect from you every spring! :) I haven't paid much attention to it this year...hope KU doesn't disappoint you!

jody-of-all-trades said...

I care! I care! Pretty cool:-)