Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week in Review

The first half week of school has come and gone.... overall, we have some happy boys!

Reece LOVES school! At Roosevelt, they loop K and 1st, so he has Mrs. Olander again. It worked this time, because we love her, and she loves Reece! She truly reminds me of my Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Shrouf. Just a kind, grandmotherly figure. She has such a calm sweet voice, and I feel so calm when I talk to her, I can imagine it's the same effect for "most" kindergartners... Reece has already declared that, "I listen to my teacher more than I listen to you," meaning me.... his mom. Not that this was a big secret..... my boys love to follow the rules of the world and discard the rules of this house. Better that way, then the other, I suppose. I can tell he loves school mostly because at bed time, every night, he tells me he wishes school would start again right then. It's just not fair for a little child to get so much energy! He should be forced to share it with the rest of us!

Riley moved up into a new class.... he is in a 4th/5th grade class, and his teacher is Mrs. Stucky. I haven't met her yet (our school doesn't have "Meet the Teacher Night" and it makes me a little sad.) We will meet her at an open house on Tuesday. So far Riley is enjoying it. Not much chatter from him, but he still tells us he's happy and likes school. I kept his brain going all the way from May to July, gave him a brain break through August, and I'm sure he'll pick up right where he left off academically. School fits Riley so well! I'm sure 4th grade will be just as great as 3rd was!

Getting back to school was a bit more difficult for me. As mentioned before, I don't enjoy waking up to an alarm clock.... it's just not natural! LOL These first few days I spent a lot of time observing our "identified" children, in their classrooms. It was a lot of standing on my feet, which I wasn't used to either after summer vacation. It will get easier..... Then Jake and I are still working out 5 days a week, so getting that in has been tough too. The hardest part of my week was sitting at the pool for a couple of hours. Yep! You heard me right..... Friday afternoon, I HAD to chaperone the kids from my school to the city water park, because the PTO paid for us to go ALL Friday afternoon! My job is hard..... ;) The things I get paid for!.... In all honesty, I think sitting in the sun, after the week I had, really zapped all energy from my tired body. It was fun, but I got home on Friday afternoon, and hurt head to toe. My body will adjust one day!

Jake is just going to be adjusting to having days off, where we are all out of the house. I think his "busy body" personality will help him figure it out OK!

3 comments:

Tommi said...

Ha, you're to funny! Our kiddos are so on the same page! I'm impressed that you remember your kindergarten teacher's name??? And sitting by the POOL, is very misleading when you're chaperoning kiddos...that's so far from relaxing! So long summer vacation!

Leesa said...

How did the last month of summer disappear so quickly?? I'm sorry I never made it back up like I hoped I would.. :/
I'd love to hear more about your work-out "plan" if you have one. My sister and law and I have been trying to go to the gym 5 days a week, too. She is getting good results. Maybe if I stopped chowing on chocolate, I'd see some, too. hehe..

Shenna said...

What a good idea to loop the first grade and Kindergarten...as long as the teacher is good!! I'm glad you like his. I found it took us about 3 weeks to adjust to a new schedule. Hopefully you adjust soon enough!!