Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Reece HATES Us

We just got home from having the MRI at the hospital. Reece is slowly starting to talk to us again. It is starting to get to the point where he will not enjoy seeing another Doctor ever again in his LIFE!
The day started off easy. I was not able to feed him anything, which proved to be easier than I thought. I dressed him comfortably, and let him play video games right off the bat. I never let him do that, so he was very pleased. It also kept him busy enough to not worry about food. We got to the hospital and checked in. Yesterday, when we went in for our pre-anesthesia visit, we were told it would just be gas, and it was very unlikely an IV would be involved. WRONG! They had to poke him twice today. They tried to get him in the hand, but failed, then they got him in the arm. Thankfully, the gas had already put him out.
It took about an hour before we saw him again. He was taken to a recovery room, and we weren't able to see him until he started to wake up. As soon as I walked in that room, my eyes swelled up a little. Then as soon as I saw Reece's face, I can't believe I didn't just break down. He was SO sad! He was on the verge of tears. He wouldn't talk to us. He was cold. He was mad he got shots. (That's what he calls the IV) The anesthesia was still in him, and his sheets were covered in blood. They let me hold him, and he just whined with watery eyes. Reece is great at milking all of this. Reece wanted McDonalds, which probably wasn't the best choice after anesthesia, but Reece gets what Reece wants. End of Story.
As the day goes on, it's getting a little easier. I am getting ready to take off his bandages. As long as those are on, Reece will not use his right arm. Reece has always used both hands, and now we know why. His right hand is dominant, but he is pretty good with the left. We need to get him in a sport where the use of both hands would be very beneficial. Mental note to self.
Not sure how to wrap this one up...I'm off to take off bandages. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Poor little guy. He looks pretty pissed at you in that picture.
Dont worry, one day he'll be able to understand whats going on and that none of this was YOUR fault. Okay, maybe not. Kids always blame their parents for everything, right?
Im glad that things went well, even if they didnt go quite according to plan. You are so strong Jacque- I know it would have been hard to hold it together seeing your baby like that. Im thinking of you! Talk to you soon.